1. Ask for references from previous clients.
2. All builders must carry Public Liability Insurance which you can ask to see.
3. Check with your Local Authority about planning permission and any specific building regulations that may apply.
4. When the work is agreed ensure this is put in writing, before any work is started, preferably using a contract, before any work is started - costs and completion dates should be included.
5. Changes to the plans can be expensive so try to avoid this; however, ensure any changes are costed and put in writing.
6. Is there sufficient access to the site for deliveries and storage of materials.
7. Will the work affect your Home and Contents insurance?
8. Find out if the builder can offer any other warranty's such as the MasterBond Warranty, in addition to the Time Served Tradesmen 12 month warranty.